California State University Long Beach is a diverse, student-centered, globally-engaged public university committed to providing highly-valued undergraduate and graduate educational opportunities through superior teaching, research, creative activity and service for the people of California and the world.
California State University Long Beach envisions changing lives by expanding educational opportunities, championing creativity, and preparing leaders for a changing world.
Our academic purpose is to graduate students with highly-valued degrees.
CSULB is committed to being an outstanding teaching-intensive, research-driven university that emphasizes student engagement, scholarly and creative achievement, civic participation, and global perspectives.
Teaching-Intensive, Research-Driven University
- CSULB students have many opportunities in their studies to gain a love of ideas; an appreciation of artistic expression, science, and technology; and an understanding of varied cultures.
- CSULB faculty members fully integrate the results of their research and creative activities into their teaching, invigorating and enhancing student learning.
- Students receive the advising and mentoring they need to realize their dreams because of the student-centered philosophy of CSULB’s faculty and staff.
- CSULB faculty members are widely recognized for their outstanding teaching, research, and creative activities.
- The University has the highest average graduation rate and the lowest average time to graduation among the public master’s-degree-granting universities in the West.
- The University continues to enhance the highly collegial climate that enables broad and deep collaboration in research, creative activities, and teaching.
- CSULB graduates have the necessary skills for successful careers in various fields and disciplines.
- CSULB is recognized for the rich diversity of its student body and the accomplishments of its students will demonstrate that it is both possible and essential to offer broad access to high quality education.
- CSULB is widely recognized for its high quality of services, activities and programs for students.
- CSULB has strong partnerships with faculty, staff, student and community groups so that we may serve as primary advocates to meet the needs of our diverse student population.
- CSULB embraces a culture of evidence that strives for continued quality improvement in our programs and services.
- CSULB invests in our human and technological resources so that we may optimally respond in a dynamic environment.
- CSULB makes a positive contribution to the greater society by developing responsible citizens, with highly valued degrees, for the 21st century.
- CSULB students graduate as skilled problem-solvers and practitioners of their disciplines through participation in research projects, creative endeavors, community service learning, and internships.
- “Beach pride” is pervasive not just among current faculty, staff, and students, but among graduates and friends of the campus, and most alumni will retain significant ties to campus programs, return to campus often, and support the campus financially.
- Other universities look to CSULB as the source of best practices in student engagement, instructional innovations, academic technologies, student services, and institutional effectiveness.
- Each CSULB student has the opportunity to enhance his or her educational experience through co-curricular activities that include student-to-student relationship-building in clubs, cultural activities sponsored by departments and colleges, and international programs and events.
- CSULB faculty receive adequate and appropriate recognition and reward for engaging in pedagogical practices such as community service learning that prepare students for responsible civic participation.
- CSULB is recognized as an “engaged campus,” where students, faculty, and staff are actively involved in campus life and activities.
- Educational Opportunity
Scholarly and Creative Achievement
- The expertise and research interests of CSULB faculty are recognized and valued nationally and internationally for their advancement of knowledge.
- CSULB faculty members receive both internal and external support for their research and creative activities.
- CSULB faculty researchers make significant contributions to resolving community and regional problems and planning for future needs of our region and the nation.
- Research/technology parks in the Greater Long Beach area include a high proportion of small companies spun off from campus-originated faculty-staff-student research projects.
- CSULB faculty, staff, and students are intensely involved in community service and partnerships with community agencies and non-profits, schools, and local government agencies.
- One of the fastest growing areas of campus activity is the business and technology “incubator” program, whereby faculty-staff-student research teams work together to bring ideas developed through external funding into the marketplace.
- All students have the opportunity and necessary financial support to earn credit toward degree through internships with area companies and community organizations.
- The variety and scope of the University’s international curricular offerings are continuously broadened and deepened.
- Through a wide variety of curricular and extracurricular stratagems, all CSULB students are significantly exposed to a global perspective and many will develop multi-lingual abilities.
- Faculty and staff are significantly supported in internationally-related teaching and research.
- The international strengths of the University are promoted and communicated, both internally and externally.
Services and Support
- CSULB applies the highest standards in fiduciary and administrative responsibility through personal accountability, fairness and high ethical standards.
- CSULB is an employer of choice in public higher education.
- The CSULB physical environment is safe, accessible, functional, and inviting.